Thursday, July 29, 2010

the visible human skull


     Here's a more recent example of what my drawing style has evolved into.  Originally done in my 30's, this is simply black Sharpie markers on some 65 lb. sketchbook paper.  After scanning it, I reduced the colors and edited the values to create a more dramatic contrast (the white is pure white and the black pure black).  The model for this composition was the late Joseph Paul Jernigan, the man who agreed to donate his body to science and was chosen for The Visible Human Project in 1993.  I worked from the image of his skull in the New Atlas of Human Anatomy based on the aforementioned project.  Naturally, I took some artistic liberties.

      This was in the midst of a creative burst I got simply from using brand new black markers on some brand new white paper.  Funny how inspiration can be so simple.  Like a little kid with a new toy, I was a man in my 30's going nuts with my markers.  I think I sensed that at the time and sat myself down in front of Jernigan's skull to prove to myself that I could create a composition based on a concrete, real image.  So much of what I was doing at the time was relatively wild, uninhibited stuff, conceptually different from what you see here (although the fuzzy hairs and other embellishments are the same).  Anyway, I've rambled on long enough.  Just thought I'd post something from my adult years instead of dwelling on my past so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment