Friday, August 6, 2010

eruption

(ADULT CONTENT BELOW)


     Here's an interesting one from the early phases of the Sharpie craze when I was still working with just the one old Sharpie I found in the kitchen drawer.  This is definitely a self-portrait and a prime example of what I mean when I say that I don't know what I'm going to end up drawing until it's done.  Allow me to explain.

     I do know for a fact that I began with the face and head, worked down the neck, then the large misshapen chest mass and finally the body.  You can see all this in my technique, as it gets lazier and more impatient as I go along.  The hastily added black liquid at the bottom the figure is wading through was used to partly cover a botched left hand.  All of these things I remember clearly.

     What I didn't know was that I drew the head and chest mass erupting from the body.  When I showed the completed drawing to my wife she pointed this fact out to me.  It's quite obvious.  You can see the difference in texture between the chest mass and the torn flaps of skin around it.  It's the entire focal point of this composition and I didn't know it at the time.  I think it's partly because I drew the whole thing backwards.  I effectively misdirected myself, much like a magician will force the audience to look at the wrong thing in order to pull off their illusion.  I fooled myself into drawing this eruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment