Sunday, August 1, 2010

tribal mask


     Here's some pencil work from when I was about 31 from the looks of the date.  The main thing I remember about this was that I drew it to see if I still "had it" so to speak.  I hadn't drawn anything for a long time prior to this.  Failing at a BFA in college can do that to you.  My technique is a little soft in this composition.  I'm right-handed and you can see the whole damn image leaning to the right.  Pretty amateur stuff.  As far as the content goes, I do see remnants of my college experience in there;  the African tribal mask thing, Picasso-esque nose and mouth...

     (I'm listening to the Blade Runner soundtrack while I'm typing this.  Good gravy did Vangelis have a supreme gift for creating atmosphere!  It's like all of the world is this dark, pathetic, ugly place full of disappointment and soul-crushing ennui yet it's so comfortable and strangely, overwhelmingly beautiful.)

     Getting back to the subject at hand, I think this did sort of mark a new beginning of sorts for me artistically.  In the years after this I found myself drawing more, buying sketchbooks, experimenting with black ink and black markers and even starting to scan and digitally fiddle with some of my drawings.  A modest rebirth, no doubt, but a personally significant one I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment