Sunday, September 5, 2010

adventures in watercolor

     I bought some cheap watercolor paints last week to experiment with and yesterday I finally had the chance to use them. This was the first time I'd picked up a paintbrush since college. I soon realized a brush, wet with paint, was no Sharpie marker and, quite frankly, I got scared.  I mixed some colors and decided to lay down a familiar skull shape and added some darker regions for the eye sockets and mouth.  At this point, I panicked and picked up some markers and produced the following, awkward mixed-media creation:


The hard, sharp lines of markers don't really go well with the soft, dreamy lines that watercolor so easily creates.  I decided the mistake I made was not sticking with the paint until the bitter end so I tried again and didn't even look at a marker:

All in all, I think this is an improvement.  For my second attempt, I'm fairly pleased with the results and I'm looking forward to more painting.

2 comments:

  1. hmm, i like both but the skull sticks out a little better because of the marker. it's got an interesting cartoon/comic feel. the second picture has more of a fine art kind of look about it. but i reckon it all depends on who's looking. more power to ya for experimenting with water-colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments. I never even considered the whole cartoon/comic angle on the first. I suppose I'm too close to it right now to see it objectively.

    ReplyDelete