Saturday, September 11, 2010

bamboo engineers have a tough job


     Another assignment from early college.  This was when I was still living with my mom and she was renting this awesome studio-type apartment above a drugstore.  The subject matter here was one of those cheaply made, bamboo-wicker-type chairs that were all the rage in the late 80's, early 90's.  These chairs were designed to hold the weight of a normal adult or two calmly relaxing young adults (for example, me and my future wife).  Of course, the two young adults in question can remain calm and relaxed in a chair this size for only so long before they become active, horny young adults.  The physical stresses that two people in such a state produce are far greater than the maximum rated capacity for a chair of this type.  This was the first of at least two chairs my mother had to purchase when I explained to her they accidentally broke when I happened to sit down in them too hard, clumsy me.

3 comments:

  1. I've always liked this sketch. I also remember you sketching a rough draft of the papasan chair on the headboard of your bed. Even that looked really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your right! I think. I've killed too many brain cells since then to have a complete memory of that. I do remember scratching some sort of image into my headboard though. That must've been it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, great sketch...so many pieces of funiture fall victim to the young and horny, lets have a moment of silence for the furniture that served us well...

    ReplyDelete