Wednesday, October 13, 2010

pumpkin patch, 3 of 3


     While using my new gray markers my mind was on the subject of color tones.  I noticed how stacking progressively darker tones on top of lighter tones was having an interesting effect and, boing!, I remembered an exercise in one of my early art classes where we were instructed to find the gray tone of a color using only pencil.  I think we used some color magazine photos to work from and our work was checked by the teacher making a non-color photocopy of the magazine images and comparing the gray tones we drew to the gray tones in the photocopied image.  All in all, a very good exercise, very memorable.

      Anyway, I got a little ambitious and thought about what would happen if I reversed that scenario?  What if I tried to see only the gray tones in colors and attempted to draw with them as though I was completely color blind?  As it was, I was stacking two or three gray tones before finishing with black on the previous images in this trilogy, therefore, two or three colors should be used in this experiment.  To keep things fairly simple I settled on the three primary colors: yellow, red and blue.  Yellow obviously having the lightest tone and blue the darkest.  I started with yellow (bad for the eyes, by the way) and began stacking, finishing with black.  What you see above is the end result.  I'm happy to say I think I succeeded.  If you grayscale this image it looks pretty similar to the others.  Yay!  Go me!

     Well, I'll stop wanking now and let you enjoy the final entry in my latest Octoberween trilogy.

1 comment:

  1. OH dude, don't stop wanking. I'm with ya man! hahahaha

    I love the colors here, and everything you described is absolutely correct. The end result is very appealing and eye catching. That eyeball is so COOL!

    ReplyDelete