Wednesday, December 29, 2010

breakthrough

(ADULT CONTENT BELOW)


     I was going to make this the first completed work for my Octoberween-Palooza-Ganza but I am simply not that patient.  I just had to share this one because it represents a breakthrough in my use of watercolors!

     This started out as another one of my nose bleed marker drawings but I decided to use some watercolor paper and do some experimenting while I was at it.  Once I finished the drawing and basic colors with the markers, I moved on to the watercolors, fully expecting everything to smear and bleed.  To my surprise, no such thing happened.  Instead, I was very pleased with how easy (and fast) it is to colorize large areas.  The watercolors are also very effective at deemphasizing some areas while making others pop more.  All in all, I'm very excited with this new technique!  Woot!

4 comments:

  1. I like it! These color crazy head smashing drawings are FUCKING AWESOME!

    And what is the October-Ween-Palooza-Ganza? Did I miss something somewhere. If I did, I'm gonna be sadly disappointed in myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, the best part of the Octoberween-Palooza-Ganza is the name, and the fact that I plan to have over 31 new, Octoberween-specific artworks completed by then. I've asked off for a ton of vacation during October so, if all goes well between now and then, it should be a hell of a month!

    Ultimately, I'd like to make it an event of some sort (prizes, contests, give aways, multiple blog participation, etc.), you know, actually make it live up to the Palooza-Ganza part of the name. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this happen, please email me (so there'll be at least SOME element of surprise). Of course, it's still 10 months away so we have time to think up some good shit. So, everyone, take your time and hit me with your best shot. Maybe we can make this thing live up to its name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy hell, that's a beautiful blood-bursting brain you have there! Despite your impulsiveness, I say you can still use this for Octoberween-Palooza-Ganza if you so desire. I love that name, and I love that you invented it with no specific plan of what you are going to do with it.

    As far as contests, you could give readers a prize for coming up with the best title for your various works that month. The prize, of course, should be a signed print of said piece. Although, I'm screwing myself with this idea because Mr. Gable's going to run off with all of them. Shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of giving away signed prints sounds kinda cool. Might do random drawing or some shit. Plenty of time to work out the details.

    ReplyDelete